Lately, I haven’t had a clue what I feel like reading. I’ve stopped and dropped many books over the past three months because the story just couldn’t hold my attention. Then it occurred to me: What if I just read the most popular books? The”book club books” or the ones on the bestseller list. What if I just searched “most popular” in my app and used that as my reading list? Surely, there are some guaranteed good reads to be found.
• Good chance I will enjoy the book
• Good odds non-bookish people will have heard of the book instead of giving me an awkward blank stare
• Good discussions surely to be had with other bloggers/readers
• Popular books can be very hit and miss (mostly miss, as pointed out in this post)
• I wouldn’t be supporting the work of lesser known authors who badly deserve attention
• This method wouldn’t necessarily satisfy my need for certain stories or characters or feelings from a book
• This method is kind of silly
What are your thoughts? Does the popularity of a book influence your decision to read it? Do you fall for hype? Or tell me about a popular book you dismissed, but ended up loving?